Location: Poughkeepsie, New York
Responsible for the overall clinical care, operation and quality of the assigned Nursing units. Responsible for overseeing staffing, scheduling, hiring / firing and discipline. Participates in budget planning and maintaining fiscal responsibility.
- Engages people in integrating the Standards of Behavior and Values in daily activities by role modeling the expectations.
- Conducts Employee Performance Appraisals (EPA) on time; recognizes and celebrates exceptional performance and takes corrective action to improve unacceptable performance.
- Identifies patient/customer needs and takes action to meet those needs; continually searches for ways to increase patient/customer satisfaction.
- Creates effective work plans; identifies appropriate resources and processes; sets priorities; delegates and meets deadlines.
- Incorporates systems that monitor workflow, ensures task completion, and performance improvement.
- Ensures budget dollars are used responsibly; introduces innovative ways to reduce costs.
- Ensures department compliance with accreditation bodies and regulatory standards and initiates corrective action to prevent serious citations.
- Enforces and personally complies with WMCHealth Code of Conduct and Corporate Compliance Program.
- Adheres and enforces infectious disease prevention and control policies, and other hospital policies, protocols and procedures..
- Promotes safety for staff, patients, and visitors; enforces Hardwired Safety Tools, and complies with preventative methods to mitigate workplace violence issues.
- Works effectively as a member of the team; contributes to the achievement of joint goals.
- Embodies WMCHealth vision, mission and values and their relationship to the department's work.
- Takes initiative to accomplish goals.
- Seeks out others to learn their perspectives.
- Identifies and promptly deals with morale issues.
- Fosters positive attitudes, team spirit and trust as a means to enhance efficiency and productivity.
- Expresses pride in the team and encourages people to feel good about their accomplishments.
- Works through interpersonal conflicts to ensure problems are addressed and relationships strengthened and demonstrates consistency and fairness.
- Adjusts to shifting priorities; stays focused and demonstrates flexibility during stressful or difficult situations.
- Fosters diversity and inclusion in the workplace and ensures staff is compliant with training requirements.
- Examines own development and improves capabilities to meet the changing requirements of the position.
- Communicates clearly and concisely; keeps all appropriate individuals informed regarding progress or problems.
- Accepts the perspective of others and maintains a positive attitude.
- Fosters an environment where communication is enhanced through collaborative relationships.
- Ensures that important information from management is shared with employees and others as appropriate.
- Checks that regular, consistent communication takes place within area of responsibility.
- Uses multiple channels or means to communicate important messages, (e.g., memos, meetings, email and phone)
- Keeps manager informed about progress and problems.
- Communicates to staff the reasons behind change initiatives.
- Directs the planning, implementation and evaluation of programs and services for assigned areas, assuring appropriate resources for the delivery of care and provision of services.
- Hires competent employees; creates and develops teams through coaching, training and education.
- Utilizes best practices to provide administrative oversight and guidance in building an effective team that is committed to high-quality performance.
- Encourages the development of individuals through formalized training and mentoring.
- Empowers staff to act with appropriate authority and takes responsibility for work processes.
- Effectively responds to the challenges and opportunities posed by a multicultural workforce and community.
- Meets regularly with direct reports; holds regular staff meetings.
4 years of professional nursing experience in a hospital or health care agency at a supervisory level which must have included responsibility for preparing budgets and oversight of quality improvement activities.
Bachelor's degree in nursing or related specialty. A Master's degree in nursing administration or education, hospital or health administration, health education, psychology, or related field may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
Licenses / Certifications:
Possession of a valid license and current registration issued by the New York State Education Department as a Registered Professional Nurse.
Comprehensive knowledge of the principles of current nursing techniques and procedures; comprehensive knowledge of principles of nursing service administration; comprehensive knowledge of Westchester Medical Center labor- management practices as well as Staffco and hospital personnel practices; comprehensive knowledge of the New York State Nurse Practice Act to include diagnosing and treating human responses to actual or potential health problems through such services as case finding, health teaching, health counseling, and provision of care supportive to or restorative of life and well-being; comprehensive knowledge of regulatory and accreditation requirements; ability to direct, supervise and coordinate a large multiprogrammed nursing service; ability to coordinate varying levels of staff; ability to communicate to all levels of staff as well as division directors in a professional manner; ability to set priorities; ability to effectively use computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, e-mail and database software; ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the essential duties of the position; demonstrated competence in nursing administration; initiative; sound professional judgment; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the positionSpecial Requirements: Education beyond the secondary level must be from an institution recognized or accredited by the Board of Regents of the New York State Education Department as a post-secondary, degree-granting institution.
MidHudson Regional Hospital
MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY, is home to the mid-Hudson Valley's most advanced healthcare services. This 243-bed facility cares for more than 10,000 inpatients annually while performing an additional 325,000 outpatient procedures each year. MidHudson Regional Hospital operates the area's only Level II trauma center, is home to the Redl Center for Cancer Care and Center for Robotic Surgery, and is a destination hospital for patients with serious illnesses and injuries.