Duke Homecare & Hospice offers hospice, home health and infusion services. Hospice care is offered to terminally ill patients in their home, skilled-nursing facilities, assisted-living facilities, and at our two inpatient facilities located in Hillsborough and Durham, North Carolina.
Responsible for coordinating and performing functions pertaining the picking, packaging, and shipping of medical supplies, infusion equipment, enterals, and pharmaceuticals to patients being cared for by Duke HomeCare & Hospice.
Coordinate and perform a variety of tasks relating to the ordering, receiving, recordkeeping and distribution of required patient care supplies for assigned Duke Hospital inpatient or support units to ensure adequate inventory.
Reports To Program Coordinator
MAJOR JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Accurately pull medical supplies from packing lists/delivery tickets for patients.
· Accurately pull infusion equipment and associated supplies from packing lists/delivery tickets for patients.
· Packages medical supplies, infusion equipment, enteral, and pharmaceuticals for delivery to the patient.
· Packaging for pharmaceuticals must contain suitable insulation and cooling to maintain the stability of the products until delivery.
· Cooperates with other operational areas to ensure that time sensitive deliveries are made.
· Coordinates time sensitive deliveries to patients and healthcare providers using DCIS couriers, contracted couriers, and commercial carriers.
· Maintains a full understanding of the shipping policies for commercial carriers (i.e., FedEx, UPS, etc.).
· Maintains a positive relationship and understanding of the services provided by contracted couriers.
· Maintains accurate delivery records.
· Ensures that completed packing list/delivery tickets are pulled and forwarded to Distribution Coordinator.
· Participates in quarterly inventories as assigned.
· Assists in checking and maintaining inventories; placing orders; and putting away new inventory in an orderly fashion.
· Checks for expired/unusable products and informs Distribution Center Coordinator.
· Performs various general warehousing duties, such as shipping, receiving, and general warehouse cleaning.
· Maintains accurate and complete records in compliance with State, Local, and Federal laws and/or regulations (including FDA, DOT, OSHA, etc.)
· Uses safe lifting techniques in loading and unloading equipment.
· Performs other duties as required.
· Understands importance of and maintains confidentiality of patient information.
· Answers phone calls and takes messages related to the Distribution Center.
· Communicates clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
· Listens effectively to patients, caregivers, co-workers, and supervisor.
· Attends regular staff meetings to gather and disseminate information.
· Established positive working relationships with internal and external customers.
· Meets expectations for customer satisfaction and anticipates customer needs.
· Handles customer complaints patiently and in a fair and empathetic manner.
· Maintains current driver's license and current automobile insurance at required levels of coverage.
· As needed, delivers pharmaceuticals, supplies and equipment in a safe, accountable manner.
· Participates in weekly and monthly on call schedule
· Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Education and Formal Training: High school diploma or equivalent with experience in healthcare material control or related setting to acquire sufficient knowledge and understand of products/supplies.
A current driver's license must be maintained with a good driving record free of restrictions.
Professional Work Experience
Previous customer service and delivery/shipping experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Must be able to safely lift up to 50 pounds.
Work requires the ability to screen, evaluate and log information from requisitions and to complete daily operational paperwork generally acquired through a high school education.
One year of experience in a hospital material control or related setting to acquire sufficient knowledge of products, advise users and suggest substitutions. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE A valid North Carolina Driver's license may be required.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
As a world-class academic and health care system, Duke Health strives to transform medicine and health locally and globally through innovative scientific research, rapid translation of breakthrough discoveries, educating future clinical and scientific leaders, advocating and practicing evidence-based medicine to improve community health, and leading efforts to eliminate health inequalities.