A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
Banner University Medical Center-Phoenix is a nationally recognized, world-class medical center focused on making healthcare easier so life can be better. The Phoenix campus, long known for excellent patient care, has over 730 licensed beds, a number of unique specialty units and is the new home for medical discoveries, thanks to our collaboration with the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix. Continuous investment in our facilities has led to the construction of a new tower with a state of the art Trauma & Emergency Department (over a $400 million investment), new and revitalized clinic buildings, and a new out-patient infusion center.
As a pharmacist at BUMC-P you will have the opportunity to provide comprehensive, collaborative, and progressive pharmacy services to our diverse patient population in both acute and ambulatory care settings. Our clinical services include a multitude of specialties, including critical care, internal medicine, cardiology, research, and solid organ transplant. You will need to be able to work in the Parenteral Nutrition areas as well as help out in decentralized floor coverage. As BUMC-P is an academic teaching center you will be a part of the training for medical residents, nursing student's, pharmacy residents and students. Our robust operations and technologies include automated dispensing cabinets, automated carousel, and new sterile and non-sterile compounding rooms. This is a day position working from 8am-430pm, with every 5th-6th weekend coverage. .
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
University Medical Center Phoenix Banner - University Medical Center Phoenix is a nationally recognized academic medical center. The world-class hospital is focused on coordinated clinical care, expanded research activities and nurturing future generations of highly trained medical professionals. Our commitment to nursing excellence has enabled us to achieve Magnet(tm) recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. The Phoenix campus, long known for excellent patient care, has over 730 licensed beds, a number of unique specialty units and is the new home for medical discoveries, thanks to our collaboration with the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix. Additionally, the campus responsibilities include fully integrated multi-specialty and sub-specialty clinics, and with a new $400 million campus investment, a new patient tower and 2 new clinic buildings will be built.
POSITION SUMMARY This position provides pharmaceutical care to patients, serves as a resource and drug information specialist to medical, pharmacy, nursing staff and allied healthcare providers. Conducts educational activities, applies principles of performance improvement, and may participate in Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee activities as appropriate. Performs comprehensive clinical assessments and collaborates with the integrated healthcare team to provide quality patient care. Accountable for on-going evaluation and documentation of all components of pharmaceutical care delivered to patients. Oversees the activities of the pharmacy technicians, coordinating workflow and may, when appropriate perform the final check of medications prior to being dispensed. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients being served. Must possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status, interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements and provide pharmaceutical care based on those needs. Adheres to local, state, and federal laws regarding the profession of pharmacy practice.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Critically evaluates medication therapy and makes recommendations to improve patient medication regimens. Ensures appropriate and cost effective drug therapy. Areas of focus may include but are not limited to evaluating and addressing drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, contraindicated medications, inappropriate therapeutic regimens, adverse drug reactions, pharmacokinetics, disease state management and rational effective medication regimens. Accurately and completely documents patient assessment data and clinical interventions.
2. Functions as a therapeutic consultant in areas that may include rational and appropriate use of medications, clinical pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, disease state management and nutrition.
3. May participates in Pharmacy and Therapeutic Committee (P&T) activities as appropriate. Evaluates and recommends medications for formulary. Prepares Formulary evaluations for P&T consideration.
4. Applies the principles of continuous quality improvement consistent with job expectations. Incorporates quality improvement principles into other activities and projects (i.e. data collection, documentation). Develops criteria for drug use evaluations, medication use indicators and disease-based evaluations.
5. Provides oversight and assists with the development and implementation of evidence-based medication guidelines/protocols. Designs and implements medication monitoring guidelines and programs for both staff and clinical pharmacists.
6. In a Home Care setting: the clinician assesses the patient at the initiation of drug therapy, develops a patient care plan and drug monitoring regimen and monitors the patient according to the care plan through out the course of therapy. Documents in the patient clinical record all recommendations and interventions communicated to the physician. Enters medication orders into the computer system and dispenses medications/IV solutions in an accurate and timely manner in appropriate quantities based on stability, compatibility of the drug and age specific needs of the patient. Coordinates the drug preparation work of pharmacy technician and checks the accuracy of that work according to literature guidelines. Completes all documentation associated with filling prescriptions and verifies all prescriptions not directly received from the physician or the physician's agent. Communicates with the patient, physician, nursing staff, pharmacists and other members of the health care team regarding patient status, response to therapy and clinical objectives to ensure clinical outcome is met. Therapy day and prescription information is input into the computerized software system to ensure accurate and timely billing. Monitors patient response and documents interventions as appropriate. May assist in medication delivery and documentation collection per current compliance standards. May also be required to take after hours calls as needed.
7. Participates in all aspects of medication use, including (1) selection, procurement and storage, (2) ordering or prescribing, (3) dispensing, (4) administering and (5) monitoring of all medications utilized. Internal customers may include Patients, Nurses, Licensed Independent Practioners, Nursing Directors, Department Directors, Administrators and other health care team members for the purpose of integrating services, improving patient care and ensuring effective communication systems. External customers may include local, state, and national pharmacy organizations, Joint Commission, State Board of Pharmacy, colleagues and peers, educational institutions and pharmaceutical representatives.
A degree in Pharmacy from an accredited College of Pharmacy.
Requires current and unrestricted pharmacy licensure in the applicable state of practice within 90 days of hire date. May be required to possess a valid driver's license and be eligible for coverage under the company's auto insurance policy.
Must possess good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must possess good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, Physicians and other contacts. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Must have knowledge of medication management software, particularly pharmacy system software, Microsoft applications and automated dispensing systems.
Completion of an accredited pharmacy residency program or previous clinical pharmacy experience is preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
DATE APPROVED 06/16/2019
Internal Number: R11464
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.